Tuesday 27 December 2011

Merhaba

Hello there.
 As you can probably tell from the title of this post, I'm a linguist. Not a very good one albeit but one all the same. I love learning languages, it's always helpful when going on holiday as it allows you to communicate with every local you meet. Not in a conversational way but a simple hello just makes their day. I first started learning French, it was an alright language, but as it was a school subject, I didn't want to take it much further to do examinations on it. Then I started learning Latin and Spanish. Latin is a dead language so not much speaking is required but I found it really helped me progress in my other languages.  Spanish on the other hand does, I carried this on to GCSE but struggled with the speaking element. Both these languages fascinated me and whilst I haven't carried them on, I do enjoy revisiting them seeing how much I remember. At the current moment, I'm learning Turkish. Whilst I don't think I'll ever be fluent, I have a few turkish friends and when I go on holiday to Turkey, I do like feeling slightly superior to other people who don't even know the basic hello.
 Learning languages for me is fun and exciting. It opens so many new paths and makes you so many new friends. I love doing it, wherever I go in the world, I do try make sure that I know the basic hello.
   Anyways, Adios, Au revoir, Gorusuruz, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment