Tuesday 10 July 2012

Without history, there is no future.

Well hello there.
           There I am casually sitting in my biology lesson. texting, not paying that much attention to things when my teacher suddenly springs this news topic out of nowhere about a 112 year old women being robbed in her own home. After returning home and googling it to find this story was true, I was shocked. Well not shocked, appalled!
What kind of a person would do such a thing?! I mean, you would have to be desperate to do that. Like, really desperate. 112 years old, born 1899, that's 2 millenniums, 2 world wars, countless other wars, From Queen Victoria to our current Queen plus goodness knows what else and yet some mindless idiot wanted to virtually kill this person for a bit of extra cash and a buzz.
What is this world coming to?
The things this women has seen, experienced, lived through. The things she could teach us. Yet someone wanted to destroy all that?!
I know many people aren't big history fans, I'm not asking you to be. I'm asking you to respect history.
Respect your elders, i suppose too. They've seen things I've been taught about in a history lesson. What they can tell us about the world will inform our decisions we make on the future. We learn from our past mistakes to make a better future. But if we don't know what our past mistakes our, how can we make a good decision. We can't.
Its not just the fact that this women has "seen lots". It's the fact that she is an old, fragile lady. Someone who should be cared for, by ALL members of society. The most dearest members of our family are usually our grandparents, this isn't the case for everyone, i know but still. I know i certainly wouldn't want my family to be treated with such disrespect.
This poor lady was left frightened after the series of attacks at her home. Its sad, its unnecessary and its pathetic.
Without history, we have no future. For we are doomed to just repeat the same mistakes over and over again. Hopefully, some people out there will learn to respect their elders more. Although knowing some people, maybe not.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment